Skip to main content

World Baseball Classic Notes & Quotes



The Peace Plan

The World Baseball Classic begins Tuesday, March 3rd.

Not only will this be an international event, but also a political one. With all the problems in the world today, maybe this event will bring the nations to understand peace and each other's culture.

I'm not a politician but a baseball writer at best, and this event, like the Olympics, will hopefully open the eyes of many politicians to see that sports can maybe broker peace in the world. The WBC will begin March 3rd and finish up with the Classic Final on Tuesday, March 17th.

Let's enjoy it and not think about the problems in the world.

Injury Concerns

Injuries concern me about having the World Baseball Classic in March. I know injuries are unpredictable for players, but it's the beginning of Spring Training and players are still training to get into shape. I expressed this before when the WBC first started and still think moving it makes more sense.

Here are my concerns:

  • What if any player (we saw what happened to Edwin Diaz at the last WBC) made a superb play in the outfield, and on the throw they twisted their leg the wrong way? What if they got hit by a pitch? What if they pulled a muscle and had to sit out the start of the regular season?
  • Why can't they have the World Baseball Classic mid-season or after the World Series in November?

Either mid-season or after the World Series, most of the players will be in shape from the season. I think it makes more sense to have the Classic after the real Classic, the World Series.

With contracts the way they are and injuries up, I think it makes more sense to rethink the timing of it! Just a thought.

Until then, see you at the WBC.

— Joe Boesch 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...