Skip to main content

After the Diagnosis



After the Diagnosis. My continued cancer fight.


Since I was diagnosed with cancer last June, it has not only been an emotional rollercoaster but also a constant reminder of doctor appointments, scans, tests, and the support that is needed from my family, friends, and, believe it or not, writing and baseball.


I am reminded that prevention from the cancer returning and continued treatment needed for the next five years are important in the detection and recovery process. For five years at six-month intervals, I will have tumor tracing, CAT scans performed, and doctor visits. I look at it as another chapter in life, just like a writer keeps adding chapters to an unpublished book or a pitcher dueling batters inning after inning.


It is true that I tried to forget about everything in life, especially baseball. The only thing on my mind was cancer, doctors, tests, and the list goes on and on. My mind would wander into the unknown, and I would just not want to think about anything, especially baseball. As weird as life is, baseball was still there. I would be reminded of the game by the littlest things in life, from a person wearing a Yankees baseball cap in the doctor's office to a used, waterlogged, dirty baseball sitting in the grass by my house.


Since I was 17, I've been writing and having articles published in newspapers, magazines and books. My writing has mostly focused on baseball, and it was when I was a young teenager that my late grandmother put together a scrapbook of baseball articles and told me that "you can do this." I read the articles with great interest, and the idea came into my mind of writing my own story. Well, cancer is my story now.


When I hear people complain about some of the mundane things in life, I think of how appreciative I am for everything I achieved and the support my family gives me. I will admit, there are times that I think about cancer and question, "Why do I have it?" I wish it would go away and be as easy as kneeling down, saying a prayer, and it's gone. But in reality, that doesn't happen. In reality, it's an everyday fight. It's like playing in a game to win and giving 100% effort.


I also don't want people to feel bad for me and ask, "What can they do?" In reality, nothing can be done. In reality, this is my fight and journey of staying healthy keeping a smile on my face. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate that people do ask, and it is comforting to hear words of support.


In a letter that sports columnist Ira Berkow wrote to me, his words of support on writing were, "Anyway, keep at it. Keep trying. Try not to get discouraged. Like most other things, the harder one works at writing, the better one gets."


Just like writing, it's the same in my fight against cancer, and I won't get discouraged. I will work hard at fighting it and get better at it.

Until then, see you at the fight.



— Joe Boesch 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...