Skip to main content

The 50/50 Man



NOTE: This article was first published online at The Sports Column on Sunday, September 22, 2024.


Shohei Ohtani is now the first in MLB history to hit 50 home runs and steal 50 bases. In breaking the record against the Marlins last Thursday in Miami, he went 6-for-6 with three home runs, 10 RBIs, scored four runs, and stole two bases.


"While Shohei Ohtani has been a groundbreaking player for many years. Now, his latest feat as the first 50/50 player in the history of Major League Baseball reflects not just his amazing power-and-speed talent, but his character, his drive, and his commitment to all-around excellence," Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.  "On behalf of Major League Baseball, I congratulate Shohei on this remarkable achievement. We are proud that he continues to take our game to new heights." 


The last player to come close was Jose Canseco in 1988, when he hit 40 home runs and stole 40 bases with the Oakland A's, a feat that many thought would never be broken. Ohtani is well on his way, maybe even creating a 60/60 club this season as he solidifies his run at the NL MVP award, which will be his third in his career.


"Happy, relieved, and very respectful to the peers and everybody who came before me to play this sport of baseball," Ohtani told reporters in Miami. It was something I wanted to get over as soon as possible."


Signing with the Los Angeles Angels in 2017 from the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters of the Japanese Nippon Professional League, Ohtani was heavily touted as an exceptional hitter and pitcher, including with comparisons to Babe Ruth. His total career statistics in Japan were a 42-15 win-loss record, a 2.52 ERA, and 624 strikeouts. At the plate, he had a batting average of .284, 297 hits, 48 home runs, and 166 RBIs. This season is also one of his best in the MLB. To date, he has hit 52 home runs, 122 RBIs, 179 hits, and stolen 52 bases. This will also be his first appearance in the postseason, as the Dodgers clinched an NL playoff spot.

In his first year with the Dodgers, he's living up to the $700 million contract he signed in December. But his performance is all about hitting. Pitching will have to wait. In 2023, he suffered an ulnar collateral ligament tear in his right elbow and required surgery to repair it. He posted a 10–5 record, posting a 3.14 ERA and striking out 167 batters in 2023, and hasn't pitched since then.


Ohtani said on his 50/50 performance, "To be honest, I'm probably most surprised." 


We all are.



Additionally, Topps NOW® has also released a commemorative card for Ohtani's feat. It has an on-card autograph numbered/5 or 1/1 inscribed "50/50 Club 9/19/24," Steal/Home run Image Variation Short Prints, and Curtain Call Image Variation Super Short Prints.


— Joe Boesch 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...