Skip to main content

The Countdown



Now that the Winter Meetings have ended, the countdown to Spring Training has begun. Before you know it, we will be in a New Year and a new time. Baseball, as many know, is the greatest game played and is such a part of the American Culture, that baseball shapes the lives of many.


So, the many signings that have taken place, only makes teams better — or worse? While we painstakingly go through this Hot Stove Season, let's remember the Holidays and what it is all about. Let's remember that each day, is a great day. That each step is a great step. That each baseball free agent signing, is a great signing.


In this time baseball is always present. Baseball, of course, is baseball. Last week I walked by the MLB store on Sixth Avenue in New York City and glanced in the window like a kid in the candy store. Also, this time of the year I love the city and what it is all about. I saw the Christmas tree also at Rock Center and it is beautiful. But, it seems baseball always crosses my mind. With the temperature about 30 degrees, the fresh cut grass and the image of a diamond came into mind. I said soon real soon that the time to "playball" will happen.


Until then see ya at the park!


— Joe Boesch 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...