Skip to main content

Live Your Dream



Each year we get older. Each year we look back and ponder. Each year we dream of what we really want to do in life. Each and every person that writes about baseball, has a dream. A dream to write. My dream began at 16 and I never left it. Though, I have hit many bumps in the road, I still lived my passion of baseball and the written word.


See, I grew up liking two things in life: baseball and writing. I pursued with a passion that I wanted to be the next Red Smith, Tom Verducci, Ira Berkow, Peter Gammons, etc. I think you get the picture. With the baseball postseason here, live your dream and don't ever let anyone tell you in life not to do it. Pursue your dream with drive and heart and don't look back. Keep going, hit the homerun and pitch the perfect game that you want. The one thing in life is to work at a job you hate and not do what you really love.


There are many people that I can thank, but the list is long. By no means was this ride for me a success. I hit many potholes in my writing life and saw my personal life go down the tubes. But, it was the written word that brought me back up. The written word made me see the sun again and not the clouds. The written word made me smile again and think about the game I love: baseball. I've had success being a baseball writer and the opportunity to write two books. Believe me, it was no easy task. But, I stayed the course and pursued what my grandmother knew I should do and that is to write about the greatest game to be played. It was for her, the clipping of baseball stories from newspapers, magazines and talking about the game, that pushed me in the right direction. It was the many people along the way that said: "don't give up." It's the very first bylined clip that I knew not to give up.


Too many times people give up. They give up the big hit and just go ahead to get ahead. Make a difference in your life and do something you enjoy. Do something that makes you proud. Do something to make a difference. Do something that makes you smile. Remember, you can do whatever you want in life.


This is my opening story. Not exactly about baseball, but then again it is. See, life is like a nine inning game and each time at the plate, you want to get the hit that counts. So I write this to start with a smile…to start fresh…to see life with a ray of sunshine. To wanting to do what I enjoy and wanting to see everyone do what they enjoy. Go out there and be happy! To my heroes: Red Smith, Tom Verducci, Ira Berkow, Peter Gammons & grandma. Thank you.


— Joe Boesch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...