Skip to main content

Game Notes Column: The Art of Pitching



Pitchers, like poets, are born not made." – Cy Young


Greg Maddux excels at it. Mariano Rivera saves it. Whitey Ford set the standard for it.


Of all things, we are talking about pitching in baseball. The art of being a pitcher takes practice, precision and patience. To develop as a good baseball pitcher, starts at a young age and begins with understanding the mechanics of pitching – how to pitch and not throw the baseball.  Pitching also deals with understanding the actual baseball itself and how to grip it by the seams and the physics of the delivery of the ball.


Former Oriole and Yankee pitcher John Habyan credits many for his 11-year Major League success as a middle and long relief pitcher. It should be noted, that he also pitched for the St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, California Angels and Colorado Rockies, but spent the majority of his career with the Orioles and Yankees.


"My father gave me good advice…he encouraged me and said, 'I'll help you make a career out of this if you want?' I then started to pitch with my father's guidance," said Habyan. "Parents today think they can help their kids in sports by just watching television, they don't educate themselves. May father didn't do that. We would sit down and read books on pitching. From my father's guidance, I always had that confidence in my career. Sure it's tough, but I always had that self confidence."


When defining what a pitcher does, "Wikipedia," the online encyclopedia, says it best:


"Pitchers throw a variety of pitches, each of which has a slightly different velocity, trajectory, movement and/or arm angle. These variations are introduced to confuse the batter in various ways, and ultimately aid the defensive team in getting the batters or base-runners out. To obtain variety, and therefore enhance defensive baseball strategy, the pitcher manipulates the grip of the ball at the point of release. Variations in the grip cause the seams to "catch" the air differently, therefore changing the trajectory of the ball, making it harder for the batter to hit." 


For instance, John Habyan put many years into perfecting his art of pitching. A product of St. John's the Baptist High School in West Islip, New York, former head coach Buddy Corr would also emphasize the mechanics of pitching and strength and conditioning training. After school and practice, Corr would take Habyan to Jones Beach State Park in New York and have him do all type of sprints in the sand to build up his leg strength. The hard work paid off, he pitched St. John's to the 1982 Catholic League Championship Title and soon found himself being looked at by collegiate and professional scouts. 


Many professional scouts told him he would be drafted right out of high school and the Orioles already had him in their sights. Considered by many in baseball to be a standout player, he has won numerous awards to show for his success. He was Southern League Right-handed Pitcher of the Year, Triple-A Rookie Pitcher of the Year, pitched a 6-0 no-hit victory against the Columbus Clippers and appeared in the 1989 International League Playoffs. 


"Now I realize the chance I took going pro," Habyan said. "I always had that confidence and hard work ethic. Long and middle relief work is what I handled best. I owe much to Dom Chiti." (Dom Chiti is currently a bullpen coach with the Texas Rangers).


Here's a list of the most common pitches used by pitchers in baseball:


Fastball: This is the most popular pitch used in baseball, with several different forms of the fastball used.

• Four-seam fastball
• Two-seam fastball
• Cutter
• Splitter/Forkball
• Sinker

The cutter, split-finger and forkball are different forms of the fastball, with extra movement because of the trajectories and sinking of the pitch.


Other common pitches:

• Curveball
• Slider
• Changeup
• Knuckleball


Like anything else, pitching is an art and takes time to perfect.


To checkout John Habyan's statistics, go to the following link at Baseball-Reference.com:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/habyajo01.shtml


"I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." – Sandy Koufax


— Joe Boesch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...