Skip to main content

Memorial Day and Baseball

As we celebrate Memorial Day this weekend, there are many things to remember and celebrate — either it be baseball or the history of this great nation. Baseball does play an important part in shaping America. When 9/11 happened, it was baseball that shaped the United States and brought it back on its feet. It's baseball that brings smiles to so many soldiers, sailors, marines, etc., serving this great country. It's baseball that will be played today, as this holiday is observed, as many of the teams will be wearing the American flag on their hat or sleeve.

This holiday weekend is all too familiar to this baseball scribe. Serving as part of a security force in the Navy Reserves, I was proud to wear the uniform. I was happy when people would come up to myself and my buddies in my unit and say "thank you for your service." I was happy when we would just sit around, to make the time go by, and talk baseball — joke around about the best team of the century, either it be the Yankees, Red Sox, or now maybe even the Mets. It was when on AT that the bat, ball and glove came out and we hit fungos and played catch.

Coming from a military family, it means just that much more. My late Grandfather served in the U.S. Army, my Father served for 23 years (four Navy, the rest Army) and my Uncle served in the Navy. So, as we flip burgers and hot dogs and listen to the game on the radio, let's really remember what today is all about. Let's remember the invasion of Omaha Beach or the service people in Iraq and Afghanistan. We can't turn our backs on them, but pray for them. If we do see someone in uniform, say "thank you"and see the smile you will bring to their face.

Let's put all political feelings aside and remember this day, not for just baseball, but for the military.


— Joe Boesch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...