Skip to main content

Baseball, Movies & Thanksgiving

So here it is, the dreary winter and the "rat race" begins. Tis the season for dreaming of baseball and the summer. Well, to keep the imagination of the mind going I give to you a list of baseball movies that may be good for a stocking stuffer or two.

The list is in no specific order:

  1. The Natural with Robert Redford. 
  2. 61 produced by Billy Crystal. 
  3. When It Was A Game: Triple Play Collection. 
  4. Ken Burns' Baseball produced by Ken Burns. 
  5. Field of Dreams with Kevin Costner. 
  6. For Love of the Game with Kevin Costner. 
  7. Bang the Drum Slowly by John Hancock. 
  8. A League of Their Own by Penny Marshall. 
  9. Bull Durham with Kevin Costner. 
  10. 100th Anniversary of the New York Yankees.

While there are many movies to list, in my mind the above are worth watching to the baseball fan.

A note on my previous column of baseball books: I would like to add a few more from some of the comments posted by readers and my own insight into the books. So, here's an expanded view of more books to read.

  1. Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig by Jonathan Eig. 
  2. It's Outta Here: The History of the Home Run from Babe Ruth to Barry Bonds by Bill Gutman. 
  3. Tales from the Mets Dugout: A Collection of the Greatest Stories Ever Told by Bruce Markusen. 
  4. Idiot: Beating the Curse and Enjoying the Game of Life by Johnny Damon. 
  5. The 2005 ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia by Peter Palmer. 
  6. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning by Jonathan Mahler. 
  7. The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty: The Game, the Team, and the Cost of Greatness by Buster Olney. 
  8. The Bill James Handbook 2005 by Bill James. 
  9. Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis. 
  10. Voices of Summer: Ranking Baseball's 101 All-time Best Announcers by Curt Smith.

If there are more books, please feel free to send them to me. Maybe we'll have a third column on the best baseball reads.


— Joe Boesch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...