Skip to main content

Honoring Jackie Robinson

Dear Fans:

April 15th is one of the most important days in the baseball calendar, Jackie Robinson Day. It is the day on which we honor a proud moment not only in baseball history, but in American history. More importantly, it is the day on which we honor the Great American who made that history, Jackie Robinson.

My observance of Jackie Robinson Day has been particularly meaningful this year. On Monday and Tuesday night, my wife and I spent four fantastic hours watching the biography of Jackie Robinson by Ken Burns, Sarah Burns and David McMahon. The documentary presents a flattering and nuanced picture of a truly brave individual. 

Mr. Burns' documentary contains many great lessons for all of us, and I was so moved by the film that I feel compelled to share with you just a couple of observations. First, while Jackie was a true hero, it is hard to watch this film without realizing that Rachel Robinson is an American treasure, a woman of substance and class who was a partner in every one of her husband's amazing achievements. We should cherish her.

Second, it is a difficult task to effectuate change. Jackie Robinson knew from a very early age that change was needed in America. Throughout his life, he worked hard to find the right strategy to effectuate that change. At certain points, passivity was required and at others, Jackie felt the need to be more aggressive. Sometimes it was necessary to challenge the system, while at other times working within the system was necessary. We should respect the intentions of those who desire change and be slow to criticize the strategies selected to produce that change.

Third, sports are powerful. But, their true power is only realized when athletes reach beyond sports into a larger cause like the Civil Rights Movement. All of us at MLB understand that work remains to be done on the topics of diversity and inclusion on the field and in the front offices. Moving forward, we will continue to be inspired by Jackie Robinson's story and instructed by his brilliance in selecting strategies to drive change.

Sincerely,

Robert D. Manfred, Jr.
Commissioner of Baseball

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...