Skip to main content

The Sportswriter's Game

It all began at NYIT back in 1988 when I was a freshman ready to learn and become the next Red Smith. NYIT taught me the importance of hard work, the ability to communicate clearly, concisely and not to give up on my dream of being a sportswriter.

When I was a young teenager, my late Grandmother put together a scrapbook of sports articles and told me that "you can do this." I read the articles with great interest and the idea came into my mind of writing a better story – my own story. Today I have my own scrapbook of 500-plus authored articles, my own book Game Notes: A Collection of Sports Stories, contributed to the book Baseball Stories for the Soul (which is enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame) and my own baseball radio show.

Without the backing of NYIT and the Communication Arts department, my path to a sportswriting career would have been more difficult to achieve and less gratifying. The NYIT faculty of Bernie Bard, John Hanc and Dr. Edward Guiliano were influential in shaping my career and path of becoming a writer. I also looked to the professionals in the industry like Ira Berkow from The New York Times, John Harper from the New York Daily News and Pat Calabria from Newsday. If anything, they all made me a better writer and offered words of encouragement.


To achieve all this takes hard work and dedication. I labor over a laptop hammering out stories like a thoroughbred waiting to leave the gates at Belmont Park. My hands dance over the keyboard like a pitcher throwing a consistent fastball throughout a baseball game. I continue to write, rewrite and write again until my story is perfect.


Why?


Because if you´re a writer this is what the whole writing game is about. You must write, read and not give up. As a writer, you must stay in the game and perfect your craft. Like a batter perfecting their swing during batting practice, you must do the same and not let anyone stand in your way. Seek out the advice of the NYIT faculty, your favorite writer or even a grandparent, and let them read and critique your work. From their suggestions, apply it to your next story and continue to achieve your dream. At a young age, I had the same dream and was able to fulfill it with the help of many at NYIT and my family.


Never give up on your dream and as Ira Berkow said to me as a young struggling writer, "Keep trying. Try not to get discouraged. Like most other things, the harder one works at writing, the better one gets. As Red Smith once told me to keep the faith, I pass that on to you."


-- Joe Boesch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...