Skip to main content

9/11: 10 Years, We Remember!

“Pain is only bearable if we know it will end, not if we deny it exists.” — Viktor Frankl

As usual, America was going about its business on this Tuesday morning. The sun was shining, the economy thriving and this greatest nation was going to be dealt a serious blow never seen, since the invasion of Pearl Harbor, on American soil. America, and what it stands for, will be broken for one day.

That day is September 11, 2001.

On this day, we saw 3500 people sacrifice their lives, including 343 FDNY personnel, 23 NYPD and 37 PAPD. On this day we shall “Never Forget.”

Even though this is a baseball publication, the game itself must just be a game. The game did revive a stressed-out nation on 9/11, and baseball symbolizes what America stands for, but on this day we shall “Never Forget.”

This is how I remembered 9/11, with a poem I wrote.

September Rain

Awaken with a boom!
A day of darkness and doom.
September 11th etched in our minds.
Engine “24” sirens wailing at half-past-nine.

Our beautiful towers stricken with a hole.
In a short time dust and dirt looms.

The loss of life, a city going to ****.

We mourn for our heroes…
We will never forget.
We are America rebuilding step-by-step.

Since 9/11, America has gone through changes never seen before because war and terrorism changed the way we live and think. We live in a different world, in a different time. Ever since the attacks of 9/11, people changed for the better. What was it that changed everyone’s attitude? Life, it is meaningful and has purpose. People became nicer, friendlier and more cordial towards each other. Normal citizens joined in at every chance offered. If it just meant handing out water to rescue workers, they did it. If it meant volunteering at different shelters set up, they did it. If it meant shaking a hand, they did it. Strangers worked as a team, worked as a great nation. This is life’s purpose and what it is meant to do, help, react and take action.

The actions of 9/11 certainly made the nation stronger and more confident. No one outside of America can define or change us as a nation. Life is filled with obstacles and it is up to everyone to deal with them positively. The events encountered in life can be stressful and unbearable at times, but we must not give up. If America gets pushed back, we must rebound on our feet, pick up our minds and go on living in a crisis.

We need to take risks and get involved in worthy causes.

We don’t follow, but lead.

America must keep to its ideas and commitment to people – our own people. We are one nation under God. This is life’s purpose and should be the purpose of every nation in the world.

On 9/11, “We Shall Never Forget!”

Times to “Never Forget”:

8:46 a.m.: The North Tower is hit.
9:03 a.m.: The South Tower is hit.
9:37 a.m.: The Pentagon is hit.
9:59 a.m.: The South Tower collapses.
10:03 a.m.: Flight 93 crashes in Pennsylvania.
10:28 a.m.: The North Tower collapses.

“When pain is to borne, a little courage helps more than much knowledge, a little human sympathy more than much courage, and the least tincture of the love of God more than all.” — C. S. Lewis

Photo Note: I took the beaming light tower photo in 2002 from the building I worked at in New York City.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...