Skip to main content

No Joy in the Bronx

Maybe the Yankees should have stayed in "The House that Ruth Built"
across the street? This, by all means, might be Ruth's jinx on the
Yankees moving to a new stadium. Maybe the Yankees should've kept the
other "Joe" at the helm? The new "Joe" I give until the middle of the
season, then he's bye-bye.

The Yankees were horrible yesterday
as the Cleveland Indians sent the balls flying all over in a 22-4
all-out-blitz. I would hold my head down in disgust. With their
star-talent and payroll, they better turn it around fast. Right now
it's not looking good.

Swisher's Debut

Maybe the
Yankees need Nick Swisher to pitch more games. He's not the only
position player to pitch for the Yankees. Here's a list of the other
Yankees who pitched in:

  • 2009 Nick Swisher
  • 1997 Wade Boggs
  • 1996 Mike Aldrete
  • 1991 Alvaro Espinoza
  • 1987 Rick Cerone
  • 1968 Gene Michael
  • 1968 Rocky Colavito


Sheffield's 500th

Gary
Sheffield, who probably thought his career was over, finally made it to
the 500th home run club. Here's a look at the active players with 500
or more:

  • Ken Griffey Jr., 613
  • Alex Rodriguez 553
  • Jim Thome 543
  • Manny Ramirez 527


Happy Birthday MLBlogs

I've
been here since 2005 and it has been great. From covering the first WBC
to appearing on "Under the Lights" it has been the toast of the town.
From the "Red Sox Chick" to my radio co-host Carl "The Cabbie" to "A"
to "The Baseball Collector" it was, and still is, our little "Dead
Poets Society." I read "A's" column this morning, who writes
"Dispatches from Red Sox Teen Nation" soon to be just "Red Sox Nation,"
about the memories.

MLBlogs is the home of baseball, America's
Pastime, and the home of many. I started at MLBlogs to promote my book
and, in turn, Baseball Talk radio was born, appearances on MLB Radio,
writing assignments, interview for stories, etc. It didn't hurt my
career, but promote it. For that, I'm so grateful. I'll be here until
they take me out in a wheelchair. Mark, Captain-my-Captain, thank
you!!!!!

Until then, see you at the MLBlogs party!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...