Skip to main content

Baseball Notes & Quotes

The series of all series is this weekend with the Yankees taking on the Red Sox at Fenway Park. Interesting story in Long Island Newsday that Joe Girardi is fighting to keep his job, while Terry Francona doesn't have to worry about his job. On my radio show Baseball Talk I stated that Girardi has until the middle of the season and then he's out. I stand by my statement.


Looks like Xavier Nady will not need surgery, but just rehab on his arm. Good news for the Yankees. They are also set to put Chien-Ming Wang on the DL and see if they can help him with  his mechanics. 

MLB Standings

AL East

Toronto 12-5
Yankees 9-6
Red Sox 9-6
Orioles 8-9
Rays 6-10

AL Central

White Sox 8-7
Tigers 8-7
Royals 8-7
Twins 8-9
Indians 6-11

AL West

Mariners 10-6
Rangers 7-9
Angels 6-9
A's 5-9

NL East

Marlins 11-4
Braves 7-8
Phillies 6-8
Mets 6-9
Nationals 3-11

NL Central

Cardinals 11-5
Reds 9-6
Pirates 9-6
Cubs 8-6
Brewers 6-9
Astros 6-10

NL West

Dodgers 11-5
Padres 9-6
Giants 6-8
Diamondbacks 6-9
Rockies 5-9

Jose Reyes of the Mets keeps hitting the ball pretty good with 939 career hits. He's tied for 10th with former Met Keith Hernandez on the Mets' all-time hits list. Here's a list of the most hitting Mets:

1. Ed Kranepool 1,418
2. Cleon Jones 1,188
3. Edgardo Alfonzo 1,136
4. Mookie Wilson 1,112
5. Bud Harrelson 1,029
6. Mike Piazza 1,028
7. Darryl Strawberry 1,025
8. Howard Johnson 997
9. Jerry Grote 994
10. Keith Hernandez 939
10. Jose Reyes 939

Until then see ya at the park!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Day in Baseball

The news of longtime Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here's a long at Kalas and Fidrych's career highlights. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 Called six no-hitters. Called Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. Every Steve Carlton start. Pete Rose's 3,631st hit. First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran's Stadium and Citizens Bank Park. 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych Debut on April 20, 1976. Final game October 1, 1980. 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA. Fidrych's claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher's mound. Until then, see ya at the park!

Mets Need Help

This season was the Mets until they took a steep nose dive with injuries, no team chemistry and players under performing. They need help and they need it fast. The Yankees mean while are neck-and-neck with the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. This scribe is surprised but way to go. As I get used to Mobile Blogging on my Blackberry, it makes it much easier to write from anywhere. Until then, see ya at the park! Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis Stage 1, but the game goes on I always cringed when I heard the word cancer. It scared me to the point of making my mind think that it's the end. I would always tell myself, I hope that in my life I never get cancer and have to deal with it.  Well, my most feared thought came true — I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Classic Seminoma.  My mind went blank, and I looked at my wife and said "Yes" after I hung up the phone with my doctor's office. I'm not going into great detail about my diagnosis, but I just want to express that it's important to get checked by a doctor when something doesn't feel right. Before I knew it, I was being rolled on a gurney into the operating room. The hardest part for me in this journey, besides telling my wife, was my family, especially my parents. In life, there are phone calls that are hard to make, and that was the hardest.  Now back to baseball and the first inning in my new game. Even though this is a baseball publi...